Each year, over 500 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. Protect your family with a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas which is a by product of burning wood, charcoal, oil, and gas in various household appliances such as a fire place, HVAC system, barbeques, and cooking stoves. Studies have shown that carbon monoxide poisoning leads to over 500 deaths annually in the United States. Modern construction and insulation techniques have resulted in air-tight and energy efficient houses; however, this has increased the prevalence of carbon monoxide build up in houses. Many cases of carbon monoxide poisoning occur at night when the entire household is asleep and doors and windows are kept shut. A carbon monoxide detector can save your family’s life.
Choosing a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Legislation in most states require that a carbon monoxide detector and alarm must be installed in all new construction and resale properties. There may be additional stipulations in the legislation with regards to the number of units required for each space and battery backup for hardwired devices so that protection is available even during a power failure. It is important to note that most hardwired devices become operational only when a battery is inserted. A benefit of installing a combination carbon monoxide and smoke detection and alarm system may be a reduced premium rate from your insurance provider.
Installing the Detector Correctly
Consult an HVAC technician to check your house and advice you on the number of detectors that you will require and the correct location for placement of the sensors. When purchasing a carbon monoxide detector, choose one that has an alarm which is audible at least up to a distance of 10 feet from the detector. A detector with a digital display is beneficial as you can come to know about increased levels even before the alarm is triggered. Increased carbon monoxide levels are harmful for very young and elderly family members and also for those with some heart and respiratory diseases. Look for interconnected units as the alarm in one unit will trigger an alarm in all others. The sensor lifespan and warranty is also an important consideration.
Educate Your Family
After you have installed a carbon monoxide detection and alarm system it is important that all household members are aware of the system, recognize the alarm, and respond immediately when the alarm is sounded. If you detect high and dangerous levels of carbon monoxide inside the house, it is essential that all household members and pets are moved to a safe location, preferably outside.
If Carbon Monoxide is Present in Your Home
Check for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning like dizziness, confusion, breathlessness, and nausea and call 911 for emergency assistance. Inform them that you have called because of carbon monoxide poisoning and emergency services will come prepared. Have your house inspected for the cause of the build up and enter the house only when the carbon monoxide levels are in a safe limit.
Avoid such a serious situation by having a St. Louis HVAC company maintain your HVAC system on a regular bases. Call Air Excellence Heating and Cooling at (636) 980-0998 to schedule an appointment.